Skillet Rice with Chicken
One of my all time favorite cooking instrument will have to be the cast iron skillet. It's sturdy, distributes heat evenly (even on my shoddy electric stove which is hotter towards the front than the back), and rarely do food get stuck on its surfaces. Not to mention, it gives me a good arm workout every time I cook and clean; I can barely lift my large skillet with one hand. So as you can imagine, I love finding new things to cook in it.
Skillet Rice with Chicken is a one skillet meal that is super easy and reminiscent of Indian food. Everything is cooked using the one skillet (or frying pan works too if you don't have a cast iron skillet) for minimal mess and clean up at the end. Perfect for a light dinner or lunch. It's got just enough heat to tingle your palates and a full bodied flavor that leaves you feeling warm inside.
WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT THIS RECIPE? The combination of spices in this recipe is what gives it that extra umph! The blend of cumin, turmeric, and coriander is what makes that warm, well-rounded aroma reminding you of a cozy summer night. There is also a little kick in this dish that comes from (yours truly) Lan Prik Chili Sauce. It's not an overwhelming type of heat, but one that tingles you and lets you know it's there without being obtrusive. Overall, it's a light and well-balanced meal.
SKILLET RICE WITH CHICKEN
- Heat a tablespoon of cooking oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in rice, turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, Lan Prik Chili Sauce, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until broth evaporates.
- Remove from heat, stir, and serve.