Not only does this dish look good, it tastes amazing! Shakshuka is a delicious mediterranean dish of poached eggs in spiced tomato sauce. I only recently discovered this dish through the power of social media (a.k.a. scrolling through my Instagram feed) and thought it looked absolutely stunning. I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to good looking food though. I've had many experiences where food is presented very beautifully, but lacks the flavor to match its appearance.
I'm happy to say that this recipe's got it all. The looks, the flavor, the character, and the heat. Lan Prik Chili Sauce blends perfectly into this dish to elevate the flavor and provide a punch. This shakshuka is also not very complicated to make. If you're looking to impress your friends and family, this will definitely do it. It's best to eat this in one sitting while it's hot. My favorite is to eat it with a nice fresh loaf of french baguette. There is no better way to start the day!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large, oven safe skillet, cook onion, bell pepper, and salt over medium-high heat until onions are tender.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, and Lan Prik Chili Sauce. Stir to mix and cook for one minute until mixture is fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes and chopped cilantro. Simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Make wells in the sauce and crack eggs into them.
- Place the whole skillet in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Check if eggs are at desired consistency, it should be jiggly and the whites will have an opague color to it.
- Top with feta, pepper, and cilantro. Serve with sliced, warm french baguette.