Instant Pot Spicy Teriyaki Chicken
I used to get teriyaki chicken whenever we opt for Chinese takeout because I thought it was something so complicated you need to pay somebody else to make it for you. Turns out, as with most food I've now come to realize, teriyaki chicken is pretty easy to make from scratch. Plus, more cost effective! And what better way to spruce up the traditional dish than with a bit of Nam Prik kick?
And what do you know, the Instant Pot makes it even easier than ever! If you don't have one, I would recommend investing in one or use your 20% OFF coupon at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It is totally worth it. This multipurpose pressure cooker makes the perfect rice and tenderizes meat to the point it's falling off the bone. Most of the time, all you do is assemble the ingredients and let the pressure work its magic. (***Not sponsored, although that would be nice.)
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE DIFFERENT? You all know what teriyaki chicken tastes like. The sweet gravy over cooked chicken is just irresistible. What makes this recipe especially yummy is the fact that we use honey instead of sugar, which gives a sweet aroma to the dish not experienced with regular takeout. Moreover, our seasonal reserve batch of Nam Prik Chili Sauce takes this recipe to another level with its depth and spicy kick like no other.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SPICY TERIYAKI CHICKEN? I'm all about convenience and simplicity. This recipe literally only requires you to assemble everything into one pot, press some buttons, and play games (or whatever floats your boat) while you wait for the food to finish cooking.
INSTANT POT SPICY TERIYAKI CHICKEN
- Add chicken to instant pot.
- In a bowl, mix water, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, Nam Prik, garlic, and ginger.
- Add sauce to Instant Pot.
- Close lid of Instant Pot, seal valve, and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes (please refer to Instant Pot's manual for detailed instruction of usage).
- Once the cooking is done, wait for natural release.
- Remove chicken to rest and thicken sauce (instructions below).
- Serve with rice and veggies, smothered in your homemade-superb spicy teriyaki sauce.
To Thicken Sauce
- Press saute on the Instant Pot and wait until sauce starts to simmer.
- Mix 1/4 cup water and 3 Tbsp cornstarch.
- Slowly whisk the cornstarch slurry into the simmering sauce.
- Stir until sauce thickens and back of spoon can be coated (around 60 seconds).