Baked Prik'd Chicken Thighs
When it comes to dinner on a week night, it's hard to get myself to even think about cooking. But with budget constraints, eating out is not an option. I needed something that wasn't going to take much prep or dough (if ya know what I mean).
Enter this wonderfully delicious, cheap, and easy baked chicken thigh recipe. It is essentially idiot proof and wallet friendly. Chicken thighs and drumsticks are constantly on sale at the supermarket (I get them at about 80 cents per pound) so I have a freezer filled with packages of them.
THE SECRET INGREDIENT in this recipe is our own Nam Prik Chili Sauce. Not only does the sauce give this dish a depth of flavor, the toned down spiciness also makes for a pleasant experience.
It is important that the skin is left on the chicken. I find that when baked chicken is skinless, the meat tends to dry out. With the skin on, the meat remains juicy while the skin crisps up nicely for an added crunch.
Of course, for a healthier alternative, the skin can be taken off. It is entirely your choice.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED PRIK'D CHICKEN THIGHS? This recipe is as simple as it gets. You mix the marinade together in a large bowl, slosh the thighs in the marinade, let sit for 20-40 minutes (optional), then bake. Make some accompaniments while you wait for the chicken to cook like steamed vegetables and rice. Voila! You got yourself a steaming hot meal, buddy!
BAKED PRIK'D CHICKEN THIGHS
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with paper or aluminum.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, chili sauce, soy sauce, and garlic.
- Marinade chicken in sauce for 20-40 minutes (optional). If you do not have time to marinade, just toss chicken to cover in sauce and bake.
- Bake for 20 minutes, skin side down. Turn the chicken over and bake for another 20 minutes, or until skin is brown and crisped.
- Serve with veggies and rice for a complete meal.